Stuart Bingham is not a player to be underestimated.
Nine years ago, he made his Crucible debut against Stephen Hendry, then the defending champion and still one of the leading contenders for the world title.
Bingham won 10-7.
This year he faces Ronnie O’Sullivan, who goes to Sheffield looking to win a fourth world title.
Bingham knows all about Ronnie’s game because they practice together. He won’t be overawed playing the game’s no.1 because he is so used to it.
O’Sullivan starts favourite, as he does for every match he plays in but Bingham is not a pushover.
Here are some facts about Stuart:
- Is nicknamed ‘Ballrun’
- Won the 1996 world amateur championship
- Made a 147 during an event in the 1999 UK Tour and another during the 2005 Masters qualifiers
- Is the only player to make a 146 break in the World Championship
- Missed the pink on 134 with a maximum on against Ken Doherty at the Crucible in 2002
- Is the only player to win the Masters qualifying event twice
- Is one of only 29 players to have made a century of competitive centuries
- Is a member of Crondon Park Golf Club, home of the Championship League